Design 2131: Essential SketchUp Modeling Workshop for Beginners
This 16-hour class provides students with a wealth of tools, techniques and instruction needed to conceptualize, present, refine and execute watershape designs using FREE 3D modeling software. Students explore how today’s digital tool belt can be used to unleash their creativity and dazzle their clients.
- Demonstrate 3D-modeling tools including SketchUp, SketchUp Pro and SketchUp LayOut.
- Define axis, drawing tools, solids, extrusions, layers, styles, paint and other applications.
- Explore plan views, sections, elevations and other details used to develop presentation models.
- Contrast two and three-point perspective.
Duration: 16 hours
IACET CEUs: 1.6
All students who complete the course and evaluation form receive a Certificate of Completion documenting 1.6 IACET CEUs even if they do not continue with the Certified Watershape Builder (CWB) certification.
- 8-hours online asynchronous (on-demand) plus 8-hours live in-person
- See schedule for upcoming classes
- A typical course runs 8-hours in a single day
- Complete attendance is required
- Ask questions as they come up
- Manual is provided in class
- Instructors are available for questions during the lectures
- Travel, lodging and meals are the responsibility of the student
- Watershape University provides lunch
Watershape University’s DESIGN 2131: Essential SketchUp Modeling Workshop for Beginners trains builders how to model and document their projects for better execution in the field, reducing errors, coordination issues and change orders with subcontractors.
DESIGN 2131: Essential SketchUp Modeling Workshop for Beginners supports the following certifications:
Certified Watershape Builder (CWB) more→
Certified Watershape Professional (CWP) more→
DESIGN 2131: Essential SketchUp Modeling Workshop for Beginners is intended for and attended by architects, landscape architects, designers, builders, installers, consultants, contractors, subcontractors, and service and maintenance professionals — particularly those looking to expand their service business into renovations and new construction.
Level: 2 – Sophomore / Novice / Limited Experience
Manual Table of Contents
- Introduction to SketchUp
- SketchUp and Basic Navigation
- Basic Drawing and Modification
- Staying Organized with Components and Tags
- Basic Object Modeling Exercise — “Thing #1”
- Watershaping with SketchUp — “The Spa”
- Watershape Modification
- Watershaping a Rectangular Pool
- Review Geometric Pool/Spa Combo and Add Sections, Dimensions and Notes
- Explore Views, Walkthrough and Movie
- Model Circular Spa
- Model Freeform Pool with Tangential Curves
- Model Freeform Vanishing Edge Pool
- Add Circular Spa to Vanishing Edge Pool
- Layout for Printable Scaled Drawings (Pro Version $)
- Rendering (3rd Party Plug-In $)
There are no prerequisites for DESIGN 2131: Essential SketchUp Modeling Workshop for Beginners
DESIGN 2131: Essential SketchUp Modeling Workshop for Beginners
- Blended 8-hours Online Asynchronous (On-Demand) plus 8-hours Live In-Person | $1,400 | Instructors: David J. Peterson, P.E., IWI | begin online asynchronous immediately→ Live In-Person is not currently scheduled.
David J. Peterson, P.E., IWI
President/CEO — Watershape Consulting, Inc.
Peterson is President/CEO of Watershape Consulting, Inc., an international planning, design and engineering firm providing owners, architects, contractors, and the legal profession with services relating to residential, commercial and institutional pools, spas and water features.
He obtained his B.S. Civil Engineering at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and is a registered engineer in several states. Peterson has been in the watershape industry since 1994 when he began his career designing life support systems for large aquariums and marine mammal exhibits. He was Vice President Engineering at Polaris Pool Systems where he developed and patented several products.
Peterson reorganized the Genesis 3 Design Group into GENESIS® University in 2012. When GENESIS merged with the National Swimming Pool Foundation (NSPF) in 2016, Peterson became Director of Education for GENESIS, a position he held until forming Watershape University.