Certifications document a student’s progress through Watershape University (WU) and, ultimately, to the International Watershape Institute (IWI). Credentials can be obtained at multiple steps as the student progresses from a beginning student (“freshman”) to more advanced levels of training and expertise (“senior” and “post-graduate” levels). Credentials are acknowledged via wall certificates and digital badging that is verifiable at verify.watershape.org.
The International Watershape Institute (IWI) is a member-driven leadership team focused on advancing the industry through higher standards in education, technology and partnerships. This includes development of Position Statements and research and development in watershape and outdoor living concerns. IWI members are also expected to perform at high levels within their own practice as well as assisting the industry through volunteer work within organizations outside of Watershape University to improve standards, codes, guidance for various boards, etc. This standard requires verification of professional education and training as well as passing a professional certification exam. This designation is the pinnacle of Watershape University’s certifications.
The International Watershape Institute (IWI) certification may be used for contractor licensing and required continuing education in certain jurisdictions. The IWI certification builds upon the CWF certification; therefore, all IWI members are also CWFs which support licensing in the following jurisdictions:
- Complete the Certified Watershape Professional (CWP) certification
- Complete WU EXPERIENTIAL 1322: How IWI Benefits You and the Industry. All students receive a Certificate of Completion and 0.1 IACET CEUs after completing X1322 even if they do not pursue the IWI Certification.
- Complete WU EXPERIENTIAL 3521: Industry Volunteer. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Complete WU EXPERIENTIAL 4311: IWI Candidate Coaching Prep Course. All students receive a Certificate of Completion and 0.1 IACET CEUs after completing X4311 even if they do not pursue the IWI Certification.
- Complete WU EXPERIENTIAL 5331: IWI Candidate Coaching. All students receive a Certificate of Completion and 0.1 IACET CEUs after completing X5331 even if they do not pursue the IWI Certification.
- Complete coaching requirements
- Apply for International Watershape Institute (IWI) Membership below
- Pay $100 Application Fee below (will be applied towards $900 annual fee upon approval)
- Sign/Accept the WU Code of Ethics below
- Sign/Accept the WU Standards of Practice below
The International Watershape Institute (IWI) is a special certification that is achieved only after completing the Certified Watershape Professional (CWP) certification and demonstrating high-level performance in the individual’s own practice under the guidance of a coach, as well as volunteering to help the industry outside of Watershape University.
Watershape University was founded with a principle of accessibility — allowing students of all levels to obtain meaningful high-quality education at lower cost and reduced travel expense. Portability is a key component of access and is an important principle and reason for institutions to obtain and maintain accreditation such as IACET.
All Non-WU courses need to be pre-approved if you wish to use them as a substitute for education requirements. We will happily accept any third-party accredited program that achieves the same learning outcomes as Watershape University’s Essential Classes and these are identified within the prerequisite certifications:
- Certified Watershape Foreman (CWF)
- Certified Watershape Builder (CWB)
- Certified Watershape Designer (CWD)
- Certified Watershape Professional (CWP)
- There is no IWI exam
- Assessment is done by a coach
- A coach is any existing member of the IWI
- A coach simply consults with the candidate on at least one project to help guide improvements and reinforce best practices
- A coach does not need to be a paid consultant, although coaches cannot be expected to perform without reasonable reimbursement of expenses
- More information is available in the EXPERIENTIAL 4311: IWI Candidate Coaching Prep Course
Is this certification accepted by PHTA?
Watershape University is completely independent of PHTA and has obtained approvals from licensing jurisdictions directly. PHTA has no authority over Watershape University and is not required to approve anything.
Will I still need a PHTA CBP to maintain my license?
No. Licensing authorities cannot single-source education and certifications. Continuing education, certifications, and licensing requirements can be obtained through Watershape University completely independent of PHTA.
If you have any other questions, please send an email to email@example.com.