Certifications document a student’s progress through Watershape University (WU) and, ultimately, to the International Watershape Institute (IWI). Credentials can be obtained at multiple steps as the student progresses from a beginning student (“freshman”) to more advanced levels of training and expertise (“senior” and “post-graduate” levels). Credentials are acknowledged via wall certificates and digital badging that is verifiable at verify.watershape.org.
The Certified Watershape Waterproofing Specialist (CWWS) understands basic pool construction including the importance of safety issues such as suction entrapment, but they have extended their knowledge with two days of hands-on training in a workshop where the students actually mix and apply various waterproofing products onto horizontal, vertical and radiused surfaces plus details such as pipe penetrations. This standard requires verification of professional education and training as well as passing an in-class project.
The Certified Watershape Waterproofing Specialist (CWWS) certification may be used for contractor licensing and required continuing education in certain jurisdictions. The CWWS certification builds upon the CWF certification; therefore, all Certified Watershape Waterproofing Specialists (CWWSs) are also CWFs which support licensing in the following jurisdictions:
- Complete the Certified Watershape Foreman (CWF) certification
- Complete WU CONSTRUCTION 4621: Essential Waterproofing Workshop, or pre-approved equivalent. All students receive a Certificate of Completion and 1.2 IACET CEUs after completing C4621 even if they do not pursue the CWWS Certification.
- Submit equivalent accredited course(s) to satisfy education requirements on the University Portal here.
- Apply for Certified Watershape Waterproofing Specialist (CWWS) Exam below
- Pay $100 Exam Fee below
- Sign/Accept the WU Code of Ethics below
- Sign/Accept the WU Standards of Practice below
- Pass the Certified Watershape Waterproofing Specialist (CWWS) Exam
Watershape University was founded with a principle of accessibility — allowing students of all levels to obtain meaningful high-quality education at lower cost and reduced travel expense. Portability is a key component of access and is an important principle and reason for institutions to obtain and maintain accreditation such as IACET.
All Non-WU courses need to be pre-approved if you wish to use them as a substitute for education requirements. We will happily accept any third-party accredited program that achieves the same learning outcomes as Watershape University’s Essential Classes:
CONSTRUCTION 4621: Essential Waterproofing Workshop:
- 12 hour minimum duration
- 3rd party accreditation (e.g., ABET, ACCE, CMAA, IACET, NAAB)
- Discuss challenges of poured-in-place, wet mix and dry mix concrete placement as they relate to waterproofing.
- Identify waterproofing challenges and solutions from integral admixtures and penetrating sealers to topical products and bond coats.
- List environmental parameters and surface preparation specifications that will ensure success or guarantee failure if done incorrectly.
- Evaluate actual installations with a project tour and discussion.
Please submit certificates of completion or transcripts from other institutions by uploading via your personal account on the University Portal here.
Exam / Assessment
- Proctored online exam
- Schedule exam at your convenience 24/7
- Pass with a minimum score of 75%
Is this certification accepted by PHTA?
Watershape University is completely independent of PHTA and has obtained approvals from licensing jurisdictions directly. PHTA has no authority over Watershape University and is not required to approve anything.
Will I still need a PHTA CBP to maintain my license?
No. Licensing authorities cannot single-source education and certifications. Continuing education, certifications, and licensing requirements can be obtained through Watershape University completely independent of PHTA.
If you have any other questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why is the CWF certification a required prerequisite if I only plan to do waterproofing and not build an entire pool?
There is much more to waterproofing than just the materials, labor and excellent training. The CWF certification will identify phases of construction before and after plaster that can positively or negatively affect the waterproofer’s work. More importantly, understanding the critical safety issues that prevent suction entrapment or electrical shock are key to protecting the lives of the swimmers and protecting the waterproofer from liability.
The Certified Watershape Waterproofing Specialist (CWWS) certification builds upon the CWF certification.
Click badge for details.