Whether on purpose or not, the use of color has a tremendous impact on design, and ultimately, the user experience. In this essential course, students explore the powerful impact of color theory and how to wield it to distinguish their design work, and inspire emotional reactions from their clients.
- List the properties of light, vision and optical physics. Define color theory, primary colors, color “DNA”, blends and color mixing.
- Discuss the use of color wheels. Explore the concept of color psychology and how impacts mood and ultimately purchasing decisions.
- Consider how color can make or break design concepts.
- Introduce color psychology, how color can influence purchasing decisions.
- Duration: 16 hours
- IACET CEUs: 1.6
- All students who complete the course and evaluation form receive a Certificate of Completion documenting 1.6 IACET CEUs even if they do not continue with the Certified Watershape Designer (CWD) certification.
There is one option:
- 8-hours online on-demand plus 8-hours live in-person
- See schedule for upcoming live in-person classes
Online On-Demand Units:
- Start online units immediately at your convenience
- Available 24/7/365
- Start and stop at your own pace
- Repeat content as needed
- The course is organized into roughly one-hour logical units of study. You can tackle one at a time or even stop after 20 minutes and start over later or simply resume where you left off.
- The manual is available as a PDF download
- Instructors are available for calls during normal business hours
- No travel or lodging expenses!
Live In-Person Units:
- A typical course runs 8-hours in a single day
- Complete attendance is required
- Ask questions as they come up
- Manual is provided in class
- Instructors are available for questions during the lectures
- Travel, lodging and meals are the responsibility of the student
- Watershape University provides lunch
Check back soon — our schedule may update at any time.
- Typically $1400 although other fees may apply
- Not currently scheduled
- If you are interested, please email email@example.com.
Watershape University’s DESIGN 2611: Essential Color Theory, Materials & Textures Workshop unveils the science of color and light and explains how colors can modify how we feel about a space. Intelligent control and selection of color is a key tool for any designer’s toolbox.
DESIGN 2611: Essential Color Theory, Materials & Textures Workshop supports the following certifications:
Licensing and CEUs
The Certified Watershape Designer (CWD) certification may be used for contractor licensing and required continuing education in certain jurisdictions. The CWD certification builds upon the CWF certification; therefore, all Certified Watershape Designers (CWDs) are also CWFs which support licensing in the following jurisdictions:
DESIGN 2611: Essential Color Theory, Materials & Textures Workshop is intended for and attended by designers, builders, installers, consultants, contractors, and subcontractors — particularly those looking to control color for better design.
Level: 2 – Sophomore / Novice / Limited Experience
There are no prerequisites for DESIGN 2611: Essential Color Theory, Materials & Textures Workshop
Manual Table of Contents
- Introduction & Color Science
- Color Systems
- Color Mixing
- Color Mixing Project
- Color Theory
- Color Theory Project
- Color Psychology & Therapy
- Color Psychology & Therapy Quiz
- Materials Options & Suitability
- Tectonics & Joinery
- Color & Material Harmony
- Color & Material Harmony Project
- Material Details
- Design & Selection Process
- Design * Selection Project
- Project Review & Critiques
Anna Shay, ASID
As principal of Solanna Design & Development, LLC, Anna Shay is known for incorporating her love for the art of fine craftsmanship into her luxury residential projects. Utilizing exotic materials and cutting-edge technology, Anna creates distinctive designs for an impressive roster of high-end clientele. An eleven-time Platinum winner of the American Society of Interior Designers Awards, Anna’s goal with every project is to create a captivating home that compliments the unique aesthetic and discriminating tastes of each individual client while addressing their lifestyle needs and desires. Having traveled extensively throughout the world, Anna’s style is informed by her insights into old traditions, as well as her connection to fresh, contemporary design. These cultivated instincts have won Solanna Design numerous accolades in both local and national publications such as the Robb Report, Traditional Home, Wall Street Journal, OC Home, The Orange County Register and most recently Tahoe Quarterly Magazine and Mountain Living Digital.