If the heart of a pool is the pump and filter, then the veins and arteries are the pipes which transport the fluids or gasses critical to proper operation of the watershape. Just like in our bodies, if the circulation system is not optimized, then the whole body will not function as desired. This course not only teaches the basics for how to evaluate the plumbing system required for specific system being installed, but it also dives deeper into the specific means and methods necessary to install these elements in order to ensure the long term success of the project.
- Define proper means and methods for installing the various different plumbing systems commonly found within the swimming pool construction industry.
- Employ the means and methods to practice the skills necessary to properly execute these tasks in the field.
- Learn to correctly choose which materials will be appropriate for the specific scope of work for which they will be utilized.
- Apply basic hydraulic rules learned in the course to determine the proper sizing of piping materials for the specific applications for which they will be utilized.
- Duration: 12 hours (4-hours online, on-demand plus 8-hours live in-person)
- IACET CEUs: 1.2
- All students who complete the course and evaluation form receive a Certificate of Completion documenting 1.2 IACET CEUs even if they do not continue with the Certified Watershape Plumbing Specialist (CWPS) certification.
There is one option:
- 4-hours online on-demand plus 8-hours live in-person
- See schedule for upcoming live in-person classes
Online On-Demand Units:
- Start online units immediately at your convenience
- Available 24/7/365
- Start and stop at your own pace
- Repeat content as needed
- The course is organized into roughly one-hour logical units of study. You can tackle one at a time or even stop after 20 minutes and start over later or simply resume where you left off.
- We will send you the manual via FedEx as soon as you register but it is also available as a PDF download
- Instructors are available for calls during normal business hours
- No travel or lodging expenses!
Live In-Person Units:
- A typical course runs 8-hours in a single day
- Complete attendance is required
- Ask questions as they come up
- Manual is provided in class
- Instructors are available for questions during the lectures
- Travel, lodging and meals are the responsibility of the student
- Watershape University provides lunch
Check back soon — our schedule may update at any time.
- Live in-person units: Western Pool & Spa Show, Long Beach, CA
- Start online on-demand portion immediately
- Instructors: David Penton, IWI, Kevin Cobabe, IWI, JC Escudero, IWI
Watershape University’s CONSTRUCTION 3341: Essential Plumbing Workshop extends the general construction training of CONSTRUCTION 2111: Essential Pool Construction into a detailed hands-on plumbing installation course.
CONSTRUCTION 3341: Essential Plumbing Workshop supports the following certifications:
Licensing and CEUs
The Certified Watershape Plumbing Specialist (CWPS) certification may be used for contractor licensing and required continuing education in certain jurisdictions. The CWPS certification builds upon the CWF certification; therefore, all Certified Watershape Plumbing Specialists (CWPSs) are also CWFs which support licensing in the following jurisdictions:
CONSTRUCTION 3341: Essential Plumbing Workshop is intended for and attended by builders, installers, consultants, contractors, subcontractors, and service and maintenance professionals — particularly those looking to improve their layout, measuring and solvent welding skills.
Level: 3 – Junior / Intermediate / Practical Application
There are no prerequisites for CONSTRUCTION 3341: Essential Plumbing Workshop, although CONSTRUCTION 2111: Essential Pool Construction is required for CWPS certification and strongly recommended otherwise.
CONSTRUCTION 3341: Essential Plumbing Workshop, or approved equal, is a prerequisite for the following programs:
Manual Table of Contents
- Materials, Tools and Definitions
- General Plumbing, Means and Methods
- Class Project: IPS/Weld-On Certification Workshop ASME B31.3 Bonder Qualification
- Pool-Specific Plumbing
- Trenching & Protection
- Fusion Welding
- Plumbing at the Vessel
- Plumbing at the Equipment Pad
David Penton, IWI
Principal — Fluid Dynamics Pool and Spa, Inc.
David Penton, IWI, is president of Fluid Dynamics Pool & Spa Inc. – a Boutique Watershape Construction and Consulting firm located in Southern California. Fluid Dynamics is recognized around the world as one of the premier watershape construction and consulting firms within the high-end, elite estate property marketplace. Penton is also one of the principals for Ask The Masters – an Arizona based LLC focused on continuing education and mentoring for professionals working in the outdoor living space. He is a regular host of the Ask The Masters Podcast and has been a guest on CBS This Morning, the Pool Chasers Podcast and WATERtv. He is regularly featured in many trade and consumer publications. Penton is a graduate of Genesis University – where he has been an instructor and served in leadership for years as a member of the Society of Watershape Designers.
JC Escudero, IWI
President/CEO — Aquatic Technology Pool & Spa
Juan C. “JC” Escudero, has a diverse background and heritage with three different nationalities. He has traveled extensively and lived in other countries throughout his life. In 2001, he joined the pool industry and by 2009, JC had already worked on over 1,200 swimming pool projects. JC’s unique design perspective values his client wholeheartedly, ensuring the final product reflects their vision and lifestyle.
Utilizing state-of-the-art construction techniques while producing the most advanced water shapes; JC’s work speaks for itself when it comes to delivering results to last you and your family a lifetime of fun. As an SWD graduate and member of the International Watershape Institute, JC has been recognized among his peers as committed to continued-education programs. His pro-education commitment makes him an active contributor to respective industry and social media education platforms.
Currently, JC operates J Designs Pool & Spa Construction and Service divisions. Since its inception in 2008, JC has continued to exhibit his commitment to innovation with each and every project. He carefully curates each design to fit each client’s individual needs and lifestyle. Along with the design, JC oversees every aspect of the building process. He creates a safe and open line of communication for his clients to be a part of every step of the way in a very professional yet personable manner — a true pool expert.
Kevin Cobabe, IWI
President — Dynamic Pool & Spa Construction Inc.
Kevin Cobabe, IWI, is president of Dynamic Pool & Spa Construction, a custom swimming pool design and construction firm serving the greater Los Angeles area. At just 10 years old, Cobabe was introduced to the pool industry while assisting his brother-in-law in equipment installations, learning early on basic hydraulic principles of efficient plumbing installations. He jumped into the construction industry headfirst right out of high school, where he continued his pursuit of producing the perfect equipment installation a passion he continues to pursure in all his installations. He has a keen eye for detail in every aspect of watershape construction including creating works of art out of mechanical rooms. Now a 35-year industry veteran, Cobabe started his company in 2005 where he has successfully managed a multitude of high-end multi-million-dollar projects to near perfection. He gravitates toward ultra-complex projects and prefers to be challenged at every turn. He loves to pass on his knowledge and experience to others, teaching and mentoring industry colleagues seeking learn and improve their skills. He is an active managing team member of Ask the Masters and Pool Pro podcasts, and is an active supporter of Watershape University and its rich palette of educational offerings.