Ozone has been used for decades in advanced water treatment facilities from bottled drinking water to Shamu’s personal pool at Sea World. In the last 5 years it has started to infiltrate the pool and spa markets in various ways with multiple manufacturers offering products designed and sized for many applications. Ozone and ultraviolet sterilization will continue to grow in popularity as more builders understand it and the service professionals learn to service it. This two-day program is the first of its kind, offering expertise on everything from sizing and sales to installation, troubleshooting and routine maintenance.
- Compare and contrast ozone science and performance to other industry sanitizers.
- Calculate fluid flow, ozone production, contact tank sizing, CT-values and other engineering parameters using guidance from standards and codes promulgated by the Model Aquatic Health Code (MAHC) and the EPA.
- Describe ozone equipment components, disassembly, reassembly and routine maintenance to extend product life.
- Explore facilities using ozone in residential and commercial applications to evaluate various installation configurations including bypass versus dedicated-system designs.
- Duration: 12 hours
- IACET CEUs: 1.2
- All students who complete the course and evaluation form receive a Certificate of Completion documenting 1.2 IACET CEUs even if they do not continue with the Certified Watershape Ozone Specialist (CWOS) certification.
There are three options:
- See schedule for upcoming classes
- A typical course runs 8-hours in a single day
- Complete attendance is required
- Ask questions as they come up
- Manual is provided in class
- Instructors are available for questions during the lectures
- Travel, lodging and meals are the responsibility of the student
- Watershape University provides lunch
Check back soon — our schedule may update at any time.
- Not currently scheduled
Watershape University’s ENGINEERING 3392: Essential Ozone, U.V. and AOP Workshop extends the general construction training of CONSTRUCTION 2111: Essential Pool Construction into a detailed hands-on advanced oxidation course.
ENGINEERING 3392: Essential Ozone, U.V. and AOP Workshop supports the following certifications:
Licensing and CEUs
The Certified Watershape Ozone Specialist (CWOS) certification may be used for contractor licensing and required continuing education in certain jurisdictions. The CWOS certification builds upon the CWF certification; therefore, all Certified Watershape Ozone Specialists (CWOSs) are also CWFs which support licensing in the following jurisdictions:
ENGINEERING 3392: Essential Ozone, U.V. and AOP Workshop is intended for and attended by architects, landscape architects, designers, builders, installers, consultants, contractors, subcontractors, and service and maintenance professionals — particularly those looking to reduce chlorine usage and improve the health of the water using modern technology.
Level: 3 – Junior / Intermediate / Practical Application
There are no prerequisites for ENGINEERING 3392: Essential Ozone, U.V. and AOP Workshop, although CONSTRUCTION 2111: Essential Pool Construction is required for CWOS certification and strongly recommended otherwise.
ENGINEERING 3392: Essential Ozone, U.V. and AOP Workshop, or approved equal, is a prerequisite for the following programs:
Manual Table of Contents
- Terminology – Disinfection, Oxidizers, Sterilizers, Disinfection Byproducts
- Ozone History and Chemistry
- Ozone Generation Technology – U.V., Corona Discharge, Ceramic, Plazma
- Fluid Engineering of Ozone Systems
- Ozone Use in Pools, Spas and Waterfeatures
- Ozone System Sizing, Generators, Contact Tanks, Injectors
- Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) using U.V. Sterilization
- Comparison of Ozone / AOP to Other Technologies
- Ozone System Sales and Project Profiles
- Ozone Service Sales
- ClearWater Tech, LLC Facility Tour
- Hands-On Breakdown and Rebuild of Ozone Generators
- Hands-On Breakdown and Rebuild of Air Dryers
- Hands-On Troubleshooting
Cameron Tapp is the president of ClearWater Tech, LLC of San Luis Obispo, California. ClearWater Tech is a manufacturer of ozone generation systems for water and air purification. Mr. Tapp founded the company in January of 1986. In 2019 CWT was part of an acquisition to Pentair. ClearWater Tech employs approximately forty employees and serves a variety of markets including swimming pools and water features, agri-food, aquaculture, aquariums and zoos, beverage and bottled water, indoor air quality, commercial laundry, process fluids, and problem drinking water. ClearWater Tech, LLC manufactures a line of more than fifty different models of ozone generators and related products. Cameron was the Chairmen on the NSF committee to establish NSF 222. He has been a board member on various WQA committees including the Agr-Food committee. He co-authored several books on the topic of ozone. For over 3 decades’ ozone application and engineering has been his life. Mr. Tapp continues to actively manage all aspects of the business, paying attention to new product development and new market opportunities. With over 33 years of experience in manufacturing ozone generation equipment, Cameron is a well-respected leader in the industry.
David J. Peterson, P.E., IWI
President/CEO — Watershape Consulting, Inc.
Peterson is President/CEO of Watershape Consulting, Inc., an international planning, design and engineering firm providing owners, architects, contractors, and the legal profession with services relating to residential, commercial and institutional pools, spas and water features.
He obtained his B.S. Civil Engineering at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and is a registered engineer in several states. Peterson has been in the watershape industry since 1994 when he began his career designing life support systems for large aquariums and marine mammal exhibits. He was Vice President Engineering at Polaris Pool Systems where he developed and patented several products.
Peterson reorganized the Genesis 3 Design Group into GENESIS® University in 2012. When GENESIS merged with the National Swimming Pool Foundation (NSPF) in 2016, Peterson became Director of Education for GENESIS, a position he held until forming Watershape University.