Certifications document a student’s progress through Watershape University (WU) and, ultimately, to the International Watershape Institute (IWI). Credentials can be obtained at multiple steps as the student progresses from a beginning student (“freshman”) to more advanced levels of training and expertise (“senior” and “post-graduate” levels). Credentials are acknowledged via wall certificates and digital badging that is verifiable at verify.watershape.org.
The Certified Watershape Ozone Specialist (CWOS) understands basic pool construction including the importance of safety issues such as suction entrapment, but they have extended their knowledge with two days of hands-on training in a workshop where the students dismantle and rebuild ozone and air prep equipment in addition to several hours of lecture to comprehend the history, chemistry and process of ozone production and injection to the watershape. This standard requires verification of professional education and training as well as passing an in-class project.
The Certified Watershape Ozone Specialist (CWOS) certification may be used for contractor licensing and required continuing education in certain jurisdictions. The CWOS certification builds upon the CWF certification; therefore, all Certified Watershape Ozone Specialists (CWOSs) are also CWFs which support licensing in the following jurisdictions:
- Complete the Certified Watershape Foreman (CWF) certification
- Complete WU ENGINEERING 3392: Essential Ozone, U.V and AOP Workshop, or pre-approved equivalent. All students receive a Certificate of Completion and 1.2 IACET CEUs after completing E3392 even if they do not pursue the CWOS Certification.
- Submit equivalent accredited course(s) to satisfy education requirements on the University Portal here.
- Apply for Certified Watershape Ozone Specialist (CWOS) Exam below
- Pay $100 Exam Fee below
- Sign/Accept the WU Code of Ethics below
- Sign/Accept the WU Standards of Practice below
- Pass the Certified Watershape Ozone Specialist (CWOS) Exam
Watershape University was founded with a principle of accessibility — allowing students of all levels to obtain meaningful high-quality education at lower cost and reduced travel expense. Portability is a key component of access and is an important principle and reason for institutions to obtain and maintain accreditation such as IACET.
All Non-WU courses need to be pre-approved if you wish to use them as a substitute for education requirements. We will happily accept any third-party accredited program that achieves the same learning outcomes as Watershape University’s Essential Classes:
- 12 hour minimum duration
- 3rd party accreditation (e.g., ABET, ACCE, CMAA, IACET, NAAB)
- Compare and contrast ozone science and performance to other industry sanitizers.
- Calculate fluid flow, ozone production, contact tank sizing, CT-values and other engineering parameters using guidance from standards and codes promulgated by the Model Aquatic Health Code (MAHC) and the EPA.
- Describe ozone equipment components, disassembly, reassembly and routine maintenance to extend product life.
- Explore facilities using ozone in residential and commercial applications to evaluate various installation configurations including bypass versus dedicated-system designs.
Please submit certificates of completion or transcripts from other institutions by uploading via your personal account on the University Portal here.
Exam / Assessment
- Proctored online exam
- Schedule exam at your convenience 24/7
- Pass with a minimum score of 75%
Is this certification accepted by PHTA?
Watershape University is completely independent of PHTA and has obtained approvals from licensing jurisdictions directly. PHTA has no authority over Watershape University and is not required to approve anything.
Will I still need a PHTA CBP to maintain my license?
No. Licensing authorities cannot single-source education and certifications. Continuing education, certifications, and licensing requirements can be obtained through Watershape University completely independent of PHTA.
If you have any other questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why is the CWF certification a required prerequisite if I only plan to do ozone installations and maintenance and not build an entire pool?
There is much more to ozone than just the materials, labor and excellent training. The CWF certification will identify phases of construction before and after ozone installation that can positively or negatively affect the performance of the system. More importantly, understanding the critical safety issues that prevent suction entrapment or electrical shock are key to protecting the lives of the swimmers and protecting the ozone specialist from liability.
The Certified Watershape Ozone Specialist (CWOS) certification builds upon the CWF certification.
Click badge for details.