Certifications document a student’s progress through Watershape University (WU) and, ultimately, to the International Watershape Institute (IWI). Credentials can be obtained at multiple steps as the student progresses from a beginning student (“freshman”) to more advanced levels of training and expertise (“senior” and “post-graduate” levels). Credentials are acknowledged via wall certificates and digital badging that is verifiable at verify.watershape.org.
The Certified Watershape Inspector (CWI) validates that the recipient has met the globally-recognized professional standard for inspecting residential and commercial pools, spas, waterfeatures and aquatic facilities for safety, structural, mechanical and other concerns. This standard requires verification of professional education and training as well as passing an exam.
The Certified Watershape Inspector (CWI) certification may be used for contractor licensing and required continuing education in certain jurisdictions. The CWI certification builds upon the CWF certification; therefore, all Certified Watershape Inspectors (CWIs) are also CWFs which support licensing in the following jurisdictions:
- Complete the Certified Watershape Foreman (CWF) certification
- Complete WU CONSTRUCTION 3911: Essential Pool & Hot Tub Inspection, or pre-approved equivalent. All students receive a Certificate of Completion and 0.8 IACET CEUs after completing C3911 even if they do not pursue the CWI Certification.
- Submit equivalent accredited course(s) to satisfy education requirements on the University Portal here.
- Apply for Certified Watershape Renovator (CWI) Exam below
- Pay $100 Exam Fee below
- Sign/Accept the WU Code of Ethics below
- Sign/Accept the WU Standards of Practice below
- Pass the Certified Watershape Inspector (CWI) Exam
Watershape University was founded with a principle of accessibility — allowing students of all levels to obtain meaningful high-quality education at lower cost and reduced travel expense. Portability is a key component of access and is an important principle and reason for institutions to obtain and maintain accreditation such as IACET.
All Non-WU courses need to be pre-approved if you wish to use them as a substitute for education requirements. We will happily accept any third-party accredited program that achieves the same learning outcomes as Watershape University’s Essential Classes:
- 8 hour minimum duration
- 3rd party accreditation (e.g., ABET, ACCE, CMAA, IACET, NAAB)
- Define structural integrity of reinforced concrete, CMU block, fiberglass, vinyl liner, acrylic and steel vessels.
- Evaluate mechanical, electrical and process piping systems against a checklist covering safety, energy and performance criteria.
- Identify the differences between residential and commercial projects, and how operations and mechanical configurations vary among installed systems.
- Define the process of analyzing water chemistry versus standards for healthy water, free of recreational water illnesses.
Please submit certificates of completion or transcripts from other institutions by uploading via your personal account on the University Portal here.
Exam / Assessment
- Proctored online exam
- Schedule exam at your convenience 24/7
- Pass with a minimum score of 75%
Is this certification accepted by PHTA?
Watershape University is completely independent of PHTA and has obtained approvals from licensing jurisdictions directly. PHTA has no authority over Watershape University and is not required to approve anything.
Will I still need a PHTA CBP to maintain my license?
No. Licensing authorities cannot single-source education and certifications. Continuing education, certifications, and licensing requirements can be obtained through Watershape University completely independent of PHTA.
If you have any other questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
The Certified Watershape Renovator (CWR) certification builds upon the CWF certification.
Click badge for details.