CONSTRUCTION 4621: Essential Waterproofing Workshop
Waterproofing continues to be one of the most challenging components of watershape construction. The industry is abuzz with horror stories of delaminations, expensive repairs and leaking rooftop projects that flooded every floor of the building. This 1-1/2 day program combines detailed lecture with hands-on training and application to prepare builders for the challenges of waterproofing/dampproofing. From shell prep and concrete surface profiles to finish details such as pipe penetrations, this program combines the talents of multiple experts to keep students out of trouble as well as inspired by touring a couple of real installations.
- Discuss challenges of poured-in-place, wet mix and dry mix concrete placement as they relate to waterproofing.
- Identify waterproofing challenges and solutions from integral admixtures and penetrating sealers to topical products and bond coats.
- List environmental parameters and surface preparation specifications that will ensure success or guarantee failure if done incorrectly.
- Evaluate actual installations with a project tour and discussion.
Duration: 12 hours
IACET CEUs: 1.2
All students who complete the course and evaluation form receive a Certificate of Completion documenting 1.2 IACET CEUs even if they do not continue with the Certified Watershape Waterproofing Specialist (CWWS) certification.
- See schedule for upcoming classes
- A typical course runs 8-hours on the first day and 4-hours on the second day (12 hours)
- Complete attendance is required
- Ask questions as they come up
- Manual is provided in class
- Instructors are available for questions during the lectures
- Travel, lodging and meals are the responsibility of the student
- Watershape University provides lunch
Watershape University’s CONSTRUCTION 4621: Essential Waterproofing Workshop extends the general construction training of CONSTRUCTION 2111: Essential Pool Construction into a detailed hands-on waterproofing installation course.
CONSTRUCTION 4621: Essential Waterproofing Workshop supports the following certifications:
Certified Watershape Waterproofing Specialist (CWWS) more→
CONSTRUCTION 4621: Essential Waterproofing Workshop is intended for and attended by architects, landscape architects, builders, installers, consultants, contractors, subcontractors, and service and maintenance professionals — particularly those looking to reduce liability by designing, specifying and building watertight structures.
Level: 4 – Senior / Advanced / Applied Theory
Manual Table of Contents
- Basic Dampproofing Principles and Terminology
- Dampproofing Standards, Testing and Performance
- Substrate Preparation, Float, Tape
- Dampproofing Pre-Conditions, Application, Post-Conditions
- Miracote Facility Tour
- Hands-On Substrate Preparation
- Hands-On Miracote Application
- Hands-On Troubleshooting
The prerequisite for CONSTRUCTION 4621: Essential Waterproofing Workshop is:
- CONSTRUCTION 2111: Essential Pool Construction more→
CONSTRUCTION 4621: Essential Waterproofing Workshop
- Live In-Person | Culver City, CA | 8-hours September 19, 2022 plus 4-hours September 20, 2022 | $1,200 | Instructors: Trevor Foster, David Peterson, P.E., IWI, William T. Drakeley, ACI, IWI | register using the form below. . .
- This is one of three classes being held sequentially in September 2022 as the Wolfpack travels up the coast to celebrate Jim McCloskey’s retirement. See the detailed itinerary here. . .
David J. Peterson, P.E., IWI
President/CEO — Watershape Consulting, Inc.
Peterson is President/CEO of Watershape Consulting, Inc., an international planning, design and engineering firm providing owners, architects, contractors, and the legal profession with services relating to residential, commercial and institutional pools, spas and water features.
He obtained his B.S. Civil Engineering at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and is a registered engineer in several states. Peterson has been in the watershape industry since 1994 when he began his career designing life support systems for large aquariums and marine mammal exhibits. He was Vice President Engineering at Polaris Pool Systems where he developed and patented several products.
Peterson reorganized the Genesis 3 Design Group into GENESIS® University in 2012. When GENESIS merged with the National Swimming Pool Foundation (NSPF) in 2016, Peterson became Director of Education for GENESIS, a position he held until forming Watershape University.
William T. Drakeley, ACI, IWI
President — Drakeley Pool Company
William Drakeley is an award-winning shotcrete technologist specializing in concrete science and construction, particularly shotcrete applications, techniques and standards, with thirty years (+) experience in shotcrete installation, waterfeature and geotech design and construction. Services include consultation and review, training and testing and expert testimony. He’s principal and founder of Drakeley Pool Company, a luxury design and build firm based in New England; and, Drakeley Industries, an international consulting firm focusing on shotcrete applications and techniques, notably providing training for the New York City Metropolitan Transit Authority underground tunneling projects.
An educator and advocate for high industry standards, Bill has most recently developed and launched Watershape University (WU) with colleague David Peterson, P.E. to provide the highest quality of live instruction of business, design, engineering and construction programs to students of all levels of pool, spa, aquatics and outdoor living sectors. Bill has conducted trainings for the Colorado School of Mines, the American Society of Landscape Architects (CT), World of Concrete, GENESIS 3, Aqua Show, NESPA, and others. His technical writings have been widely published in trade magazines and e-publications.